Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Z19 external crossover upgrade for Altec Model 19

Now that the D3A phono build is up and running (albeit, it is still a WIP), I have now emabarked on the next project - the Z19 crossover project based on the Zilch (RIP)'s design from Audiokarma fame . I have all the materials for the build :

1) Two 12"x8" Hammond Chassis

2) Crossover components from Soniccraft ; Below is my order
Soniccraft order
3) 2x 8 ohm LPAD
4) Terminal blocks, PCB Laminate, Speaker binding posts, Neutrik 4P male/female XLRs, 18GA hookup silver coated copper teflon coated wire




I based my layout on this design, courtesy AK member billyunderhi :





Here is the mockup :


Layout 1


Layout 2


I traced the components on a graph paper, so I can replicate the layout accurately on the other build Next Steps :

  • bore holes on PCB laminate
  • mount components on PCB and tie wrap
  • bore holes on chassis for speaker binding posts and speakon
  • bore holes for LPADs
  • bore holes for terminal blocks

Z19 schematic for reference :


604 8H Mod19 Ckt

No comments: